Sunday, March 25, 2012

behind.the.scene



Ep. 1

"We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving. And we all have some power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing."      -Louisa May Alcott

It is merely about my dream to become a flight attendant. Being a cabin crew or flight attendant or stewardess or whatever you named it, is my dream. I have been craving it since I was a little girl. It started simply because I’d like to travel the globe. It is amazed me how do people manage to just stay at one place (read: country) for the whole of his/her life and just travel for holiday (well they even pay a lot of money to do so). And so be it…


"Without dreams, there can be no courage. And without courage, there can be no action." 
 - Wim Wenders

I decided that I want to travel the globe and get paid for doing it. The journey starts when I was about to enter high school (when I was about 16). So, I told my dad that I want to continue my study in a school of hospitality. Well, it didn’t go that well with my dad. He thought that it was just a fluke from his daughter (fight no.1). Realizing that I was a plump figured girl back then and I know by that appearance, to be a flight attendant is waaaaayyy toooooo faaaaarrrrr….I decided to follow my dad’s wish. I enrolled to public high school, finished it with good grades and get offered for a scholarship from the school. (sounds pretty good, heh?)

Here it comes (fight no.2), my dad was really happy that I got the chance to get the scholarship. He told me that it would be really great deal help for him (financially, coz he also need to pay my little brother’s tuition fee at the same time) and he really wants me to take the opportunity. The problem is: if I am taking it, I have to be bound in the contract with the school. And also it doesn’t offer me the major that I really craved for – HOSPITALITY. (yep, I haven’t changed my dream to travel the world, but I know that I can’t become a flight attendant with my plump appearance). So, I decided to refuse the opportunity and of course daddy disappointed.

Here’s what I think at that time (when I was 18): If I can’t travel the globe (due to my posture), then I’ll make it come true in another way…it would be still in hospitality and service industry…I could become a tour leader (I love languages and history though), I can also work at the hotel (their uniform looks cool) – those are the main reasons I chose hospitality as my career path. I have decided it.

I enrolled to this university that has hospitality major, it’s might be not the best, but it certainly the most possible and comfortable place to study for me (and it cost a lot of money). Then, as you could guess already, daddy won’t happy (fight no.3). He asked me to enroll to another university that cost less and based on his opinion, hospitality has no future, so he wants me to enter another faculty that is more “normal” and “common”. HA-HA..can he win over me? NO! I stand for what I want. (egoistic, very much yes. But I never regret it until now). I enrolled myself to Pelita Harapan School of Hospitality and Tourism on 2007 majoring in Hospitality Management. During my four years study there, I discovered many things: friendship value, betrayal, love, school stuff, colleagues, conflicts, and also live value. It was just another phase of my life. And guess what??? I shaved up 26 kgs of my body weight and get in shape in just a year time (2008). NOW, it seems flight attendant door has been open for me. The light is on, let’s bring it on.

Oh I forgot, I never share anything about my dream to become a flight attendant to anyone yet at that time. It’s more because, I don’t want any body to expect too much from me, and I also want to prove to my dad that my decision over the multifights with him is worth it, that the path that I chose is destined for me and my future, that I won’t regret in the end.

(There are a LOT of side story about my uni life,,but I think it would come later on…)

“Never let go of your dreams, believe it, pursue it, give every bit of your efforts to make it come true..and soon you’ll be walking towards it confidently” - Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment